- The authorities confirmed the discovery of 8 bodies in Mexico.
- The victims are thought to be workers who were kidnapped from a resort.
- The bodies were dumped in a field.
Chilling find. The authorities confirmed that they found eight bodies on Saturday, June 25, in a jungle area on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. The men are thought to be workers who were kidnapped from a resort on the Caribbean coast.
Authorities in the state of Yucatan said the bodies possibly belong to victims who were kidnapped in the quiet town of Xcalak, in Quintana Roo, the southern tip of Mexico’s Caribbean coast near Belize, the AP and ABC News reported.
Tragic scene: 8 bodies found dumped in a field
At least seven men, and possibly eight, were kidnapped days ago from a farm in Xcalak, according to press reports. The eight corpses were found by a farmer in a hilly area located in a community in Yucatan, close to the border with Quintana Roo, AP detailed.
According to the prosecutors office, apparently the victims were not killed where they were found, but there bodies were dumped there. AP said authorities did not identify the hostages but local media said they were workers from a coastal farm.
A state wracked by violence
To date, the AP indicated, Xcalak has avoided the violence that plagues other beach towns in the state of Quintana Roo. However, it is known that in the past several packages of drugs have washed up on local beaches.
In a report updated on Saturday night, citing the Yucatan Forensic Medical Service, local newspaper Milenio noted that two of the eight corpses had been identified as the workers kidnapped in Xcalak. They had apparently been killed approximately 72 hours before. They were shot in the head by 7.62 and 9 mm caliber firearms. Authorities believe that the other six victims are also directly related to the kidnappings in Quintana Roo.
The bodies were in a pile
Por Esto published a photograph showing how the bodies were found in a state of decomposition and stacked on top of each other. It also stated that the place where they were found was only the place where they had been dumped, as they were killed elsewhere.
Although AP and Milenio have not yet identified the victims, Por Esto specified that the search file of the Quintana Roo Prosecutor’s Office said that they were Marcos Vallapando Pat (46), Édgar Medina Romero (19), Heber Crescencio Landeros (40), Flavio Roblero (24), David Pool (22), Moisés Cuervo (41), José Ismael Dzul (20) and Emilio Manzano (53).