- Deadly fungal meningitis in Texas linked to surgery in Metamoros, Mexico.
- Four other people have been hospitalized.
- The CDC has issued an alert.
SURGERY ENDED IN TRAGEDY! One person died and four others are hospitalized due to a fungal meningitis infection that has been linked to surgery performed in Matamoros, Mexico. According to reports, the people who were infected all had an epidural during their operations.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued an alert indicating that that people should avoid crossing border for medical procedures. They also indicated what symptoms to look out for
ONE PERSON IN TEXAS HAS DIED FROM FUNGAL MENINGITIS AFTER HAVING SURGERY IN MEXICO
Authorities issued an alert after it was revealed that five people had been admitted to the hospital for a apparent fungal meningitis infections. One person has died. According to the reports, these people had traveled to Matamoros, Mexico, to undergo surgeries that required an epidural for anesthesia.
“It’s very important that people who have recently undergone medical procedures in Mexico monitor themselves for symptoms of meningitis» reported Jennifer Shuford, who is the commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services, according to Click 2 Houston.
«A Deadly Disease»
The commissioner pointed out that meningitis is a serious infection that must be treated immediately because it can be fatal For this reason, it was specified that if you traveled to Mexico for surgery, you should be aware of the symptoms.
«Meningitis, especially when caused by bacteria or fungus, can be a life-threatening illness unless treated promptly,» Jennifer Shuford stated, according Click 2 Houston. The identities of the affected individuals have not been released.
CDC issues an alert for fungal meningitis
According to EFE, United States health authorities have issued a warning about the risks of traveling to Matamoros, in the northern Mexican state of Tamaulipas, to undergo surgery. This comes after several cases of fungal meningitis were diagnosed among patients who had undergone procedures in that city.
The CDC and the Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS) issued travel alerts after possible fungal meningitis infections leading to severe illness and death were diagnosed in people who had returned from Matamoros, according to the EFE.
What are the symptoms of fungal meningitis?
Meningitis is an inflammation of the protective covering of the brain and spinal cord. It can be caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi, or trauma. The symptoms of fungal meningitis infections include fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea, vomiting, confusion or sensitivity to light, the EFE agency reported.
«If a procedure was performed in Matamoros that involved an epidural injection of an anesthetic and you present any of these symptoms, go immediately to an emergency department and report your procedure and where you traveled,» advised the CDC.
Should you avoid traveling to Mexico for medical procedures?
Patients who have had a procedure any time since January 1, 2023, are advised to monitor their symptoms and consider seeing a healthcare professional. Authorities also advise canceling any procedure that involves an epidural injection of an anesthetic in Matamoros until there is evidence that there is no longer a risk of infection in these clinics, EFE indicated.
Mexican authorities continue to investigate. For now, people should follow CDC guidelines regarding the deadly illness that has killed one person.